Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

Satrapi, Marjane. (2007). Persepolis. Pantheon. 341 pp.

Graphic Novel/Autobiography/Memoir
War, Iranian Culture, Coming of Age, Politics

Persepolis is now sold in one volume, instead of being divided into two volumes. (The Complete Persepolis).

This graphic novel tells the story of Satrapi's life growing up in Tehran, Iran during the Islamic Revolution. The story centers around her large and loving family. No matter where she goes, Satrapi always ends up coming home. Her story is very touching and also very funny. Satrapi gives a lot of historical information throughout the novel, which helps readers understand the Iranian culture and her personal circumstances. Her story is very heart-wrenching, but she includes a lot of comic relief. Satrapi’s childhood was filled with warfare and death. Her family decided that it would be best if she moved to Vienna to escape the madness in Iran. During her very early teen years, Satrapi moved to Vienna only to face the many trials of adolescence on her own and without her family to comfort and guide her. After many horrifying experiences, she moved back to Tehran. She enrolled back in school and meet her future husband, Reza; She married when she was twenty-one years old, but they later divorced.

I was very surprised how much I actually loved reading this graphic novel. It was hard to get used to at first, but I loved the graphics. The pictures made Satrapi’s story all the more real. I loved reading about Satrapi’s family and their wonderful family dynamic, especially her relationship with her grandmother. The Iranian Revolution caused many heartaches in her family, but they never gave in to the political hierarchy. They lived how they wanted to live, but there was definitely a fine line between what they did in public and what they did in private. It was hard thinking about living through a war that was actually happening down the street from their house! The narrative really helped me sympathize with her story, even though I have never be in a situation close to hers.

Satrapi’s mother and father raised her to be a smart, confident woman who did not back down to authority. Satrapi’s temperament caused her a lot of problems, but she always spoke up for what she believed in. She was very headstrong, but she still struggled with the issues that most teenage girls face.

There are so many little principles placed throughout the novel. One big theme includes standing up for yourself and your beliefs, even if you are going against the grain. Satrapi and her grandmother have a wonderful relationship and her grandma gives her wonderful advice all throughout the story. For instance, her grandma always told her to “keep your dignity and be true you yourself” (195). My favorite part is at the end of the novel when Satrapi tells her father and mother that she is getting a divorce. Her father says, “I knew it all along… if she hadn’t gotten married, she would never have known that it wouldn’t work between the two of them- everyone has to have their own experience”(339). I think I love this so much because I subscribe to that same principle. Now, I’m not promoting divorce or anything, but I very much believe in learning through experience. This principle has gotten me in a lot of trouble growing up, but no one can take your experiences a way from you. (my parent’s just don’t understand this!)

I would recommend this to everyone! It is very easy to read and I think you will really enjoy the stories, history, and graphics. Satrapi also co-wrote and co-directed the animated film version of Persepolis.

This book deals with war, religion, defiance of authority, family, relationships, sex, drugs, and much more. I am really not sure about the age range, but I would say 9th graders and up. I think this book would be very beneficial to a student who is interested in learning about the Middle Eastern culture and its history. This book will definitely be in my class library and I would also use this novel as a book choice for a literature circle.

2 comments:

Brittany said...

Lindsay,

PERSEPOLIS was the first graphic novel I ever read. It was assigned in a college Women's Lit class, which was a really interesting context to discuss it. The book makes a positive statement about women's strengths and capabilities, and it celebrates women's relationships, as you point out with Marjane, her mother and grandmother. You also make really good points about the importance of independent thinking and of experience. This is an great book for young girls to read, and it's a lot of fun, to boot. I'm glad you got to read it; thanks for the post!

Brittany

Kelly Riley said...

Lindsay,
Your post and your presentation on this book have really made me interested in reading it. Of all the graphic novels the class has presented, this one seems to be the most compelling to me. I am so glad that you read it and presented on it; otherwise, I would not have known of its existence. I am new to the graphic novel medium, and, sadly, I was somewhat disappointed in the graphic novel I chose to read. I am looking forward to reading Persepolis and redeem the genre in my eyes. How did you find out about this book?